Consecutive education applicant
The University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) offers two distinct consecutive Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree programs:
- Consecutive BEd - Primary/Junior (P/J)
- Consecutive BEd - Intermediate/Senior (I/S)
The admissions requirements below are for graduates with an undergraduate degree obtained from a university in Canada or the United States. Read the information for applicants with a degree obtained outside of Canada or the U.S.
Applicants to a Consecutive Education program must:
- Have received the required undergraduate degree (see below) below by June 30, 2015.
- Meet UOIT’s English language proficiency requirements if their first language is not English.
- Submit proof of a tuberculin (TB) test and a criminal reference check if they are offered admission to the program.
You must hold an undergraduate degree from a recognized university with a minimum overall academic average of 70 per cent (B- or 2.7 GPA) in your best 10 full-year, or best 20 half-year courses completed.
Preference will be given to applicants with four-year honours degrees.
P/J teachers deal with a wide range of subject areas. It is therefore desirable for you to have a broad academic background. In assessing the academic breadth of P/J applicants, preference will be given to candidates with one or more three-credit-hour undergraduate or graduate courses in these subjects:
We recognize that very few applicants will have coursework in all areas. The more areas you have covered, the stronger your application.
You must hold an undergraduate degree from a recognized university with an overall academic average of 70 per cent (B- or 2.7 GPA) in your best 10 full-year, or best 20 half-year courses completed.
Preference will be given to students with four-year honours degrees.
You must have completed a minimum 30 credit-hours in university courses (equivalent to five full-year courses, or 10 half-year courses) in a first teachable subject and 18 credit hours (equivalent to three full-year courses, or six half-year courses) in a second teachable subject.
Teachable subjects include:
A minimum 70 per cent (B- or 2.7 GPA) average in the courses applicable to each teachable subject.
- Official transcript from the post-secondary institution(s) you previously attended.
- UOIT Supplemental Application form (see below).
How to apply
- Apply online through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) Teacher Education Application Service (TEAS) website.
- Submit a Supplemental Application form to UOIT.
Once you have applied, you will receive by email information on how to access the online Supplemental Application form. You must complete the application form, which includes:
- A personal statement essay explaining why you want to pursue a career in education.
- An experience profile outlining your teaching-related experience.
- A minimum of two verification contacts who can confirm the validity of the teaching experience you outlined.
Note: You may save the form without submitting it and log back in at a later time to make changes until the submission deadline of Monday, December 8 at 4:30 p.m. Once the form has been officially submitted, no further changes can be made.
The TEAS online application opens in mid-September.
Monday, December 1: Deadline for submitting application and fees to OUAC.*
Monday, December 8 at 4:30 p.m.: Deadline for submitting the supplemental application form to UOIT.
*UOIT’s supplemental application fee is included in the OUAC application fee.