Skip to main content
Are you okay? Emergency/Crisis

FAQs about the T2202A form

Do I get a T2202A form?

T2202A forms are issued if you’ve paid more than $100 in eligible fees for courses beginning and ending in a particular calendar year.

Why doesn't my T2202A form match the amount I paid for my course?

The total amount of tuition fees paid may not necessarily correspond to your T2202A because not all of your tuition fees are tax deductible. Also, the T2202A is based on the tax year (January to December), not the school year (September to April).

What tuition fees are not eligible for my T2202A?

Fees that are not eligible include:

  • cost of books
  • goods of lasting value that you will keep, such as a computer, uniform or tools
  • health and dental insurance
  • initiation or entrance fees to a professional organization
  • meals and lodging
  • UOIT Student Union fees
  • transportation and parking

I paid for my first year and my tax receipt reflects only half of what I paid. Where's the rest?

The Winter 2017 fees that you paid in Fall 2016 will not be included in the 2016 tax receipt because they are for courses taken in 2017.

I received my T2202A form but the address on it is incorrect. Do I need a new one?

You may submit the T2202A as received even if the address is incorrect. It is not necessary for you to submit the T2202A form with your tax return, but you must produce it if requested by Revenue Canada.

My child attended a summer camp program last summer and I did not receive a T2202A form for the fees I paid. May I get one?

Parents may choose to claim sports/summer camps as daycare, and should use the receipt(s) provided at the time of registration for their child/children. Summer camps don’t qualify as tuition and no T2202A form will be produced.

My parents need my T2202A form. Will you send it directly to them for me?

Students must use the Tuition and Education Credit Certificate (T2202A) on their own tax return until the Federal Tax payable is reduced to zero, after which you may transfer the balance of the credit to another eligible party using the reverse side of the T2202A form, as per the Income Tax Act. This requires your signature.

What is the number in column B/C for?

In addition to claiming tuition and ancillary fees, you are also eligible to claim $400 for each month of full-time study or $120 for each month of part-time study. You qualify for a full-time claim if you were completing nine credit hours or more for at least three consecutive weeks during the month. You qualify for a part-time claim if you were completing fewer than nine credit hours.

If I add the tuition for my UOIT course together with that of another institution, I would meet the $100 minimum. Why won't you give me a T2202A?

Students may not combine receipts from institutions to meet the minimum eligible fee as per the Income Tax Act.

Can you help me with some questions about my tax return?

In-depth questions regarding the use of the T2202A form in the tax preparation process should be directed to Revenue Canada. Tax guides are available from any Revenue Canada office or a post office. Revenue Canada also publishes a booklet called Students and Income Tax - Government form P105(E).