The Campus Libraries provide equitable access to a full range of services, resources and facilities for all by recognizing individual needs. Anyone with special needs is encouraged to ask for assistance from library staff.
- An automatic door is available at library building entrances
- Desk height counter tops are available at service desks
- Wheelchair-accessible elevator on all floors in multi-floor libraries
- Wheelchair-accessible washrooms are located in all library buildings
- Wheelchair-accessible public workstations with adaptive software
- Service animals are welcome
- Assistance is available from library staff for:
- retrieving material from the book stacks
- using the catalogue
- with photocopying
- booking adaptive equipment in the Assisted Use Carrel room
- For extended book loans, contact Karin Downie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905.721.8668 ext. 2967
- For in-depth reference assistance or to acquire material in an alternative format, contact a subject specialist. Click here for a list of Reference Librarians.
The following adaptive equipment is available (until 30 minutes prior to library closing) in the Assisted Use Carrel room on the third floor of the North Oshawa Library:
- For patrons that have a UOIT issued network login there are three computers available for use. They have been loaded with the following adaptive software:
Workstation 1: Kurzweil 3000, TextHelp Read & Write Gold, ZoomText, JAWS
Workstation 2: Kurzweil 3000, TextHelp Read & Write Gold, ZoomText, JAWS
Workstation 3: Dragon Naturally Speaking, Kurzweil 3000, TextHelp Read & Write Gold, ZoomText, JAWS
- A 22" LCD monitor that can be used with either a laptop or the adjacent computer/hard drive.
- A Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) that provides magnification of hard copy material.
- Students requiring initial instruction can contact the Student Accessibility Services for assistance.
Assisted Use Carrel room – access and use guidelines
- To access the room, present a valid library card at the circulation desk.
- Priority is given to students using the adaptive equipment in the room. Those not using the equipment may be asked to leave.
- This room is for individual study and is designated as a yellow zone area. Those working in groups will be asked to leave. Group study rooms are available elsewhere in the North Oshawa Library.